[ORRando] New Permanents

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:30:27 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

To get a little variety in my randonneuring this year, I've decided to put
together a series out of permanents.  I'm doing my first one next week.

The Calamity Peak 220: http://goo.gl/maps/m5Dec  It's a loop up through
Clark County to Chelatchie, and then following paved roads up to the ridge
just south of Siouxson Creek.  8 miles of gravel along the ridgeline (to
the eponymous Calamity Peak) and then a paved descent down to Stabler and
Wind River.  South to Carson, and back home along the HCRH.

A couple weeks after that, I'll start through the longer distances, weather
permitting:

The Salmonberry 340: http://goo.gl/maps/QvRFX
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_maps_QvRFX&d=AwMFaQ&c=5aMxbibQyX6B-W2mpD2HYH5lwK3h7A1hIsNQieXCZKA&r=KO8aNOLzJEI6H-n5DSlPUw&m=eUf2oD75Uix-tM0OJMxGEbuYNBku8yWE0Mng95iCUz4&s=2IBcCv2jWnxihnz-AMhEURXexQoGV86iAV3FtdHbN7k&e=>
Loop from Hillsboro to Carlton, to Beaver via the Nestucca, Tillamook,
Elsie via Miami River Rd and Foss Rd, to Vernonia on 202 and 47, Banks on
the trail, and back to Hillsboro.

Johnston Ridge 380:  http://goo.gl/maps/9EhEg  Starts at Lloyd Center, goes
up to Woodland on the Old Pacific Highway, and then over Green Mountain to
Kalama.  Up back roads on the east side of the Cowlitz River to Castle
Rock, and then 50 miles up to Johnston Ridge Observatory on Mt St Helens,
followed by 50 back down.  Back home on the west side of the Cowlitz to
Longview, and then US 30 back into town (i.e, the StP route.)

For a 600, I've got PS1 and PS2, which are a pair of reversible routes
between Portland and Sisters, each roughly 300k.  PS1 goes Sellwood to
Estacada to Ripplebrook, up to Timothy Lake, down to Simnasho, Warm
Springs, and Pelton Park.  Up out of the Deschutes by the back way to
Culver, Culver Highway to Peter Skene Ogden Park, then Lower Bridge Road to
Sisters. PS2 is Sisters over the McKenzie Pass, then north to Santiam
Junction, down to Detroit, and then over the Breitenbush summit back to
Estacada and Portland.

The first two permanent routes are approved, the 3rd is being reviewed now,
and I haven't submitted the Portland-Sisters routes yet, but will soon.  If
anyone's interested in riding with me, or in riding these routes at some
other time, let me know, and I'll keep you up to date -- I don't want to
subject anyone to these until I've had a chance to check them out myself,
but other than that, they're ready to go.

-Michael