[ORRando] P-B-P 2015?

Susan Otcenas susan at teamestrogen.com
Tue Jun 10 14:22:15 PDT 2014

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome!

There is depth of experience on this list.  Eight Oregon randonneurs (including me) went to PBP in 2011 and many others on this list went in prior years.    There is also a huge contingent of experienced SIR riders who are PBP veterans, including a number who successfully completed the event in Charly Miller time.

I would encourage you to do as many brevets and permanents as you can in 2014.  IMHO, 2014 is the time to experiment with bike set up, generator lighting, clothing, nutrition, baggage, etc.  (2015 is when you should be perfecting it.)   Learning to ride through the night, all night, without a support vehicle, with all your gear, food, etc. possibly in the cold and rain is something that you should begin right away.    PBP happens in late August when the days are getting shorter.   Most of us spend quite a few hours riding in the dark.

There is a large database of permanents that you can ride anytime, locally.  You can find a good list here:  http://orrandonneurs.org/permanents/    Norm Carr (RBA at Desert River Randonneurs)  has also created a convenient NW brevet calendar here, where you can find brevets that might fit your schedule the rest of the year:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Auw9vX5ZpVQSdG5iSEV1UE9zU00td0RWQkpORHM2QVE&output=html

You may also want to join the SIR email list and the much-more-active RANDON email list.   PBP chatter will pick up quite substantially as 2015 approaches.    You can fire away with questions in any of those forums and can expect to get good replies.

In early 2011, I hosted a PBP get together at my house that was attended by first time hopefuls and several PBP vets.  I really appreciated the chance to have in-depth conversations about the experiences the vets had in France. It made me much more confident in my preparation for the event.   I plan to host another get-together in early 2015, and will announce it here.  You'd be welcome to attend!

Again, welcome and best of luck in your preparations!  I look forward to meeting you on a brevet sometime soon.

Susan

Susan Otcenas
Team Estrogen, Inc.
www.TeamEstrogen.com<http://www.TeamEstrogen.com>