[ORRando] [OBRA Chat] The NEW section of the Columbia River Bike path

Susan Otcenas susan at teamestrogen.com
Mon Oct 28 12:00:25 PDT 2013

>>So if you have never ridden the BOG loop, get out there and do it
before the weather gets to ugly

Ugly Schmugly.  ;-)  We rode the entire loop nearly all in the rain
yesterday and still had a blast.  Jeff is right though; if you haven't
ridden the loop before, it's beautiful (even in the rain!) especially on
the Oregon side, though the views from Cape Horn make braving WA14 well
worth it.

As a randonneur, October is my offseason, when I ride off the clock for
pleasure and really good coffee.  ;-)      Well placed
warm-up-with-coffee spots include Caffe Piccolo Paradiso in Camas (at
3rd & Birch), the reasonably well stocked store at Skamania, the
kitschy-yet-convenient Charburger in Cascade Locks with just average
food but really lovely riverside views of the Bridge of the Gods, and an
espresso/pastry stand at Multnomah Falls.

The steel-grated Bridge of the Gods disappears below you as you ride
acroos it, making you feel like you are flying.   It's a toll-bridge (50
cents for bikes, I think), but the awesome couple in the Jeep in front
of us paid the toll for the four of us on bikes behind him.  WoW!
That's the second time someone has done that for me at that bridge, and
it always makes me feel a little better about the world.  :-)

For those who've not ridden it, here's a GPS link of the route.  We like
to start and end at McMenamin's Edgefield, both for the convenient
parking and a place to change clothes and have a the beer at the end of
the ride.  82 miles.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3545098

Susan

Susan Otcenas