[ORRando] Verboort 2013 preride

Jeff Arasmith jeff.arasmith at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 10:36:24 PDT 2013

8th Annual-Verboort Sausage Populaire, Pre-Ride Report

*Miles     Comments*

-14.1

Up at 6:16.  For a 9:00 am start, I left my house in SE Portland at 7:09
and headed for the MAX station in Goose Hollow.  The 7:40 Blue Line will
reach the end of the line in Hillsboro (Hatfield Government Center) at 8:25

-6.6

The first car in the train had a bike and an open slot.  That’s a familiar
green bike; it was Asta headed to coffeeneur.  Instead of trying to nap, I
got to quiz her about the details of her handlebar bag/box.

-6.6

MAX to Start – head north 20-30 feet beyond the end of the line to Main
Street in Hillsboro.   Right on Main.  Left on Hwy 8.  Go 5.8 miles and
left onto Main Street in Forest Grove.   Yes, Main Street in both towns.

0 - START

There are two possible interpretations Lincoln Park.

About a block before 26th, on the right, there is a park sign and parking
near the tall baseball stands.  I didn't know about this, but a cyclist in
a Showers Pass jacket with vibrant blue mudflaps hailed me as I wandered
by.  It was Kevin.  Parking is permitted, just not overnight.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500464018171&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

At 2725 Main Street, there is a long entrance just before the skate park to
another Lincoln Park parking area.  Parking is permitted, just not
overnight.  This is where you will find the restrooms and covered area.  I
think this is the intended start.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500464058172&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

5

Along Gales Creek, familiar roads without much shoulder.  It’s better than
a highway.  If you are riding in the rain and cursing it, these photos will
serve as a justification to consider volunteering for the pre-ride.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500464418181&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

19.6

CAUTION – The speed limit in Timber is 25.  That should serve as an early
warning, the first hairpin turn in Timber is rated 15 mph and has railroad
tracks through the middle of it.  This would be a good time to be cautious.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500465898218&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

21-33

>From the time you leave Timber until you reach Hwy 47 just outside
Vernonia, it is a lot of long, straight, downhill sections.  You can ride
leisurely like Kevin and I did, or you can put a lot of time in the bank to
use in Vernonia.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500466098223&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

34.7

Open control in Vernonia.  This can be a real time sink, great relaxation,
or a place to exercise strict control behavior.  Rider’s choice.  As
always, Black Bear was slow.  There were lots of cyclists just finishing up
when we got there a little after noon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500464978195&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

43.3

There is an outhouse at Tophill.  It just an old fashioned hole in the
ground, but it does has hand sanitizer.

63.5

Verboort Roadd, See those tall trees ahead on the right?  That’s where you
are headed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200500465578210&set=a.10200500463818166.1073741829.1354732299&type=3&theater

Observations

It’s hard to drink enough when you are cold

It’s time for warmer gloves