[ORRando] [Randon] RUSA Board Nominees

Susan Otcenas susan at teamestrogen.com
Fri Nov 8 17:07:15 PST 2013

I saw Will deRosset's comment the other day that RUSA typically gets
voter turnout of ~10%.   I serve on the board of The Bicycle
Transportation Alliance (the bike advocacy group for Oregon) and have
noted that our voter turnout come election time is typically about the
same.

As he noted, "That may indicate that most of our members are profoundly
satisfied with the leadership and the choices of those who vote".   I
think that it may also indicate that some of our membership are not sure
for WHOM to vote.  Not having personal relationships with any/many of
the candidates, or not having much information about candidates beyond
their brief statements on the ballot might leave some feeling
underinformed to vote.   Often, lacking information, we either choose
not to vote, or vote the status quo.

I think this is where personal recommendations come in.   I often rely
on personal recommendations and opinions of my better-informed friends
when trying to make decisions on everything from what light to buy, what
GPS to avoid, what property tax levies are a good idea (or not), and
what local politico might be friendliest to bicycling come election day
(or not).

With the board elections coming to a close in just a few days, I'd like
to re-iterate my recommendation that if you've not voted yet, that you
consider casting one of your two votes for Lynne Fitzsimmons.  I've
known Lynne for a long time.  We "met" on a bicycling forum years and
years ago.  She is the person who introduced me to randonneuring, made
me believe that yes I could in fact do this, for which I am eternally
grateful.  I try to pay that forward by encouraging others, especially
women, to give this whole crazy rando thing a try. :)

So, if you've been holding off voting because you weren't sure how to
cast your vote, or if you didn't feel connected to any of the
candidates, I hope you'll consider my recommendation to vote for Lynne.
You can read more about Lynne below, or get to know her via her VERY
extensive rando blog at http://lynnerides.blogspot.com/  It's a good
read, with lots great photos and entertaining stories.

You can cast your vote by sending an email to secretary at rusa.org

Thanks for reading!

Susan

Susan Otcenas