[ORRando] Of possible general interest...

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 12:53:05 PDT 2013

* I finally got around to riding my "Mt Hood 217" permanent yesterday.
 Lots of fun, very pretty route!  Beautiful day for it, too.  The route
does take the fast way back into town (US 26), though, which means that the
last 50 miles or so are pretty loud.

* In doing the ride, I poached the new, not entirely complete section of
trail between Yeon Park and Moffett Creek.  At this point, it's about 75%
paved, 20% graded, and 5% dirt.  It's all beautiful, and way way way nicer
than riding on the freeway.  The bridge over McChord Creek looks like it
was built by Gondorians.  When it's done, we'll be able to ride between
Troutdale to Cascade Locks in either direction without having to go on the
freeway.

* I have submitted an SR 600k route that will (hopefully) soon be available
for any of you masochists out there to ride.  It starts in Gresham at the
end of the MAX line, and goes around Mt. Hood.  The route is on OpenRunner,
and is route ID 2629511.  I have it set up so you hit Maupin at 350k, where
you could check into a hotel (say, the Imperial Lodge) and get some sleep
if you have enough time in the bank.  It's also a "greatest hits" of my
favorite roads between the Sandy River and the Deschutes, the only bummer
stretches are a couple short stints on 197, and a couple mostly downhill
bits on US 26.  If you're interested in tackling it, let me know, and I'll
set you up when it's been approved.

-Michael