[ORRando] "Super Randonnee" 600K

Kevin Brightbill km.brightbill at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 15:23:01 PDT 2012

Hi all,

For those of you not already familiar, there was recently  a new type of permanent announced by ACP -- the "Super Randonnee" 600K. The "super", in this case, refers to a minimum elevation gain of 10,000 meters!

Because of the high difficulty, the time limit is relaxed from 40 hours to 50 hours; or, there's a separate option for a "Tourist" permanent, for which the minimum pace is only 80km/day (so 7.5 days maximum). Most appealing to me, I think, would be an in-between ground -- doing it as a Tourist, but aiming for a three or four day finish.

Here's a rough first idea for a route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1793313

(note: elevation has to be certified by openrunner.com -- this one, when imported from .xml, checks out at 10,422 meters: http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=2015950)

There's a few small drawbacks -- notably, using three out-and-backs to Larch Mountain, Cloud Gap, and NF-4615 rather than true passes. Also, there's long stretches of gravel, both going up to Cloud Gap (mile 118) and then on NF-45 (mile 275).

Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions for route revisions, or something completely different. Because of elevation and weather, won't be actually taking part in one of these rides 'til next summer, but it would be nice to have a permanent approved and ready over the winter/spring sometime.

Thanks!
--Kevin