[ORRando] death at PBP

Kevin kevin97116 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 06:23:34 PDT 2011

Most of you probably heard that there was a death at PBP.  I've been able to find very few details.

Yesterday a posting on the San Diego Randonneurs list brought this:
Jerry Cook <jerald.l.cook at gmail.com> Aug 24 03:10PM -0700 ^

Forwarded from Bill Beck (DC Randonneurs):

Some of you may have heard that an American rider at PBP was killed
on
Monday after an accident involving a truck. I am very sorry to report
that
the rider was our friend and fellow DC Randonneur, Thai Pham. The
only
details that have been published about the accident indicate that it
was
near *Médréac, en IIle-et-Vilaine, *on the route to Saint-Pern,
between
Tinteniac and Loudeac.
Thai rode his first brevet with us at the Flatbread 200K last
November, and
rode most recently in the Shenandoah 600K in June.  Thai was a very
sweet
and polite man who clearly loved randonneuring. Even when he finished
over
the time limit in the Urbana 200K in March, he was still happy to
complete
the ride under his own power and determined to earn his Super
Randonneur
award so that he could attend PBP. He will be truly missed by all of
us who
got to ride with him or talk with him at the post-ride pizza parties.
Some
pictures of Thai are at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wabeck/sets/72157627507103844/detail/.
Thai's sister and his family would like to get more information about
what
happened at the accident. So if any of you are reading this in France,
and
have additional direct information, please let me know.
I will send additional information as it becomes available. In the
meantime,
please keep Thai's family in your thoughts and prayers.
Bill Beck
RBA for DC Randonneurs

What is happening in Kevin's corner of the bike world?
http://the-whir-of-spokes-in-air.blogspot.com