[ORRando] Bike Computer Suggestions

Jeff Arasmith Jeff.Arasmith at cmicro.com
Thu Oct 7 22:27:19 PDT 2010

I hope no one wanted anonymity.  I'm posting all the responses I've received, so there will be some data stored for posterity.  Here's what I've heard so far, starting with the most recent and going backwards in time:

From: cecilanne

VDO MC 1.0, wired
 works great, never fails, lots of useful functions without being over-the-top geeky like some others mentioned so far

From: chris (fool) mccraw

so it says on peter white's page, but i've never experienced that, and i use a son hub and a wireless computer. however, the computer and the sensor are both pretty far away from the hub, being as it goes on the back wheel (& chainstay for cadence).

i have had a crappy wireless computer that was billed as being back-wheel compatible but wasn't even stable on the front wheel (and totally nonfunctional on the back), even on the bike without a generator hub. fortunately nashbar took the return with aplomb and i paid for a name brand and now i'm happy and fine.

also, my wired cateye handles fairly infinite ride time. i never reset it during a 4,500 mile tour and it certainly didn't reset itself during. twas interesting to know that the highest speed i went for the entire time was 48.9mph (glacier national park, IIRC).

unfortunately i forgot to check the "average" speed to get a better idea of how fast i actually went on average for an entire summer, before i had to reset it to km for a cue sheet that didn't have mile listings.

From: Lesli

I'm adding a "me too" to the cyclometer search question.  I wouldn't mind going wireless but I've heard that the son 20r generator hub cause some interference with some wireless units.

At some point, I'll go GPS but for now I'm looking for something functional and affordable that works with my bike's front hub!

LL

From: Del

I also do not like wireless, found them to be unreliable.
I also like very simple, just speed, distance, time, average.
My all-time favorite is Cateye Mity-3, but they quit making them years ago.  I had one on my Cannondale for 10 years, and it registered nearly 50,000 miles on the same original battery before failing earlier this year.  Replaced it with Cateye Mity-8, which is ok, but not as user-friendly in my opinion.  I'm not sure how long these will run before auto resetting, because I reset it daily when doing multi-day rides.  But it will give good averages all day long and accumulate total trip distance on Trip-2 meter.  Another thing I like is that I can set it to do true average speed by turning off the auto-start feature.  Then it keeps running while I am at a control and I can monitor my time spent by how much my average drops while at the control.  I try to average 25 kph, or 15.5 mph, which is 4 hrs per 100k.

-- Del

From: Lynne F

I have (on one bike) a SON28/B&M IQ Fly and (on another bike) SON20/Supernova E3.

I have not noticed any interference with the bike computer.