[ORRando] Gratitude

David Strong djstrong at fwcm.com
Wed Jun 16 18:01:35 PDT 2010

The OBM brevet was truly epic.  John Kramer must be applauded for his route
design, his organization, and his and all the volunteers who made this event
possible.  I am not going to write a ride report (maybe sometime in the
future), but for the moment I wanted to just share some reflections on what
was for me the toughest brevet or randonnee I have ever done.  I used to
think BMB was the hardest, but I think OBM is harder.  I am not saying this
because I think harder is better, or because if you complete a harder event
it somehow means you are a better randonneur.  As some of you know, I am a
pretty humble fellow, and simply care about enjoying the journey, and this
was an unbelievable journey.  Having said that, this route had great
pavement, had little to non existent car traffic, had beautiful scenery, and
had some lovely towns strung like pearls along the route.  I especially
liked the cafe in Fossil which had wonderful home made fare.  If anyone came
across other culinary gems, please write about them, I would enjoy hearing
about them.  The terrain was unexpected, not the elevation gain, I knew how
much that would be, but the terrain, so varied, from canyons, to alpine
ascents, to massive undulating ridges, rivers, lakes, you name it, this
route had it.  I think the one vision which I will have a hard time
forgetting was the view from the ridge along Bakeoven heading into Maupin.
 At one point we could see 5 massive peaks, I am not sure which they all
were, any help would be appreciated, Peter, my riding buddy thought they
were St Helens, Rainier, Hood, Baker, and Batchelor?
Wanted to thank Kole and Vincent for all their loving care at Mitchell, they
took care of our bikes, provided room service, and double portions of
wonderful pasta.
I think Oregon and Washington have the best cycling on the West Coast, and I
am looking forward to more wonderful events this Summer and Fall.
Cheers,
David