[ORRando] The First Saturday Series

Marcello Napolitano marcello at napolitano.com
Thu Dec 2 13:47:29 PST 2010

For those brave souls that continue to do rando rides through the
winter, in pursuit of an R-12 or of a lofty mileage goal, I will be
offering a few brevet rides this coming year. If you are working on an
R-12, scheduling a ride as early as possible in the month gives you more
chances for a re-do if something comes up that prevents you from
starting or finishing the ride, be it flu or a foot of snow on the
ground. So in this spirit, I am going to organize the following rides. I
plan to have the rides even if there is just one rider signed up, and
regardless of the weather (unless it is unsafe to ride, in which case it
may be rescheduled or canceled).

Saturday January 1st - 8.00 AM start - Hillsboro-Dallas-Hillsboro

A relatively flat ride, familiar to many people who have done it as a
permanent in the past couple of years. The out and back route starts at
my house on the east side of Hillsboro, goes to Forest Grove and then
turns south along familiar roads to Lafayette and Dayton, then to Amity,
Perrydale and - after a few final rollers - to the turnaround point in
Dallas. I will have some roving neutral support along the route (hot
cocoa anyone?). I am aware that this is on New Year's Day, and people
may have been up all night and may not want to get up early, or they may
prefer watching football on TV, but if someone wants to get a head start
on their mileage for the year and/or on their PBP qualification (this
will be an ACP brevet), what better way to spend a day?

Saturday February 5th - 7.30 AM start - Grab Bag 200/300

The ride starts in Newberg, at the Travelodge on the east side of town.
The route is made of 100 km loops that start and end at the same place.
The first one goes to Forest grove, then back to Newberg via Sherwood.
The second loop is an out and back to Dallas. There is the option of
doing a third loop to Mount Angel, if someone would like the extra
challenge of doing a 300k instead of a 200k. Elevation is not a whole
lot on this route. Please note that you will need to choose one distance
before the start, and you will not get credit for finishing the 200k
route, if you had signed up for the 300k. I plan to be at the
Burgerville that will be the intermediate/final control location through
the day, and you will have access to your vehicle at the end of each
loop. This is also an ACP brevet.

Saturday April 2nd - 6 PM start - Screech Owl Night Brevet
(Hilsboro-Dallas-Hillsboro)

After a break in March (we already have the Birkie 200 and the 3 Capes
300 scheduled for the month), the First Saturday series returns in
April, with the same route that we did in January, but as a night time
brevet. This will be a good test of your lights and your night riding
skills in preparation for the 400k and 600k brevet later in the spring.
The convenience store that is the control location in Dayton is open
until 2 AM, and the one in Dallas is open 24 hours. Other than that, you
will have quiet, dark rural roads for most of the ride. Also an ACP brevet.

Sunday November 6th - start time TBD - Wineries and Breweries 200k

After a summer  with lots of opportunities for rando rides (and great
permanent rides available nearby), the first saturday in October is the
day of the annual Bingen Bikenfest, organized by John Kramer, and the
first saturday in november is another annual tradition, the Verboort
Sausage populaire, which starts in Forest Grove. The next day I will
offer a 200k that also starts in Forest Grove and makes its way south
along the beautiful wineries in Yamhill county. This will be a RUSA brevet.

--
Marcello Napolitano
marcello at napolitano.com