[ORRando] Del broke his shoulderblade and collarbone

cecilanne at comcast.net cecilanne at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 20:44:01 PDT 2009

Aw, crap, Del - that's awful!  I ride through the cemetery every morning and was dismayed to see the bumps (unpainted and invisible the first day or two) - fortunately, the wind-about route I take only encounters one of the speed bumps, which is the one directly in front (or back, depending on your direction) of the gate at the bottom of the hill by HWY 43/Macadam.  In my daily commutes, I have often stopped to talk to Lee Rogers, who is the cemetery manager, as he makes his early morning rounds.  He has told me in the past that they are under an extreme amount of pressure from plot owners to ban all cyclists from the cemetery because there are a few cyclists who do not treat the cemetery or mourners with respect  - stories abound of cyclists practicing for cross over grave sites, barreling through funerals, etc.  (Although I have never seen a cyclist riding in the grass over graves I have seen many tracks evidencing that it does happen).

 Lee says that he has resisted those efforts, because he wants cyclists to have a safe alternative up and down the hill.  The new speed bumps are definitely designed to force cyclists to stop, rather than simply slow down - they are practically curbs!  I am wondering if this is a last resort before banning cyclists.  I have not seen Lee in a few weeks, but the next time I do I plan to have a little chat with him.

Del, you should check with a personal injury lawyer - but be aware that the cemetery may be immune from liability under Oregon's recreational use law, which protects private landowners who allow people to engage in recreational activities on their land from lawsuits if those people are injured.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cecil