[ORRando] Best time of year for riding the Oregon Coast?

Dan Silvernail dansilvernail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:19:49 PDT 2009

Good Morning,

If you don't mind, here is another request for valuable information.   Here
are a few questions for you all, since I'm pretty certain that many of you
have ridden the Oregon Coast.   Some time next year I would love to ride the
coast but I need to work out a few details.  I'd most likely do it in 3-4
days (which would include riding out to Astoria from Portland) and I'd be
self supported (although I'd stay in motels to keep the load light).  May
even go as far as Eureka, CA.

First, what is the best time of year?  I know that summer obviously offers
the best weather but the tradeoff is all of the tourists-especially the
RV's.  I'm thinking that October may be the way to go, even though there is
that risk of ugly weather (although 50's and and rainy would be better than
30's and rain as could be the case in the winter).    In fact, I would much
rather ride in light rain or drizzle if it meant that the traffic flow would
be light.

Along with that, how about days of the week?  I'm thinking that I need to
choose between dealing with trucks (during the week) or tourists (on the
weekends).  Any thoughts on which of the two is the lesser evil?

Finally, as far as getting back to Portland is concerned, I can see two
time) or beg my wife to meet me in Nor Cal (and she may do that).  However,
is there a third or fourth option?  Because this part of the trip could well
be the most difficult to swing logistically.

Many thanks in advance!!

Dan