[ORRando] Endless Mountain Ride Report

Vincent Sikorski vsikorski at bendbroadband.com
Mon Oct 12 16:34:20 PDT 2009

Sorry if this file is too large. I don't blog anywhere to just allow
me to send a link.
Vince

Decided to ride the Endless Mountain 1240 when I first heard of it. I
have family that lives in Elizabethtown, about a 90-minute drive from
the start in Quakertown, PA. I grew up in E-town, Lancaster County,
Pennsylvania. Whenever I go back to visit, my nephew tries to kill his
uncle on the hills. There is no shortage of 17% to 19% hills in the
“flatter” Lancaster County. I knew what type of roads the “mountains”
of Pennsylvania offered. Official estimate was 62,412 feet of climbing.

My sister and brother in law drove me to the start Tuesday evening.
Met a rider from Missouri, Dan Clinkinbeard, who had his truck at the
motel. (He was actually living out of his truck the previous 3 days.
Had a nice cot set up in the back.) I bummed a ride to a restaurant
with him, the “Good and Plenty”.  It was OK, but more than plenty.
Ordered the meatloaf and was barely able to finish half of it. Stuffed
down lots of calories, but I will need them in the next few days.

Started with the B group at 4:15 AM Wednesday morning.  The start was
split into 2 waves, 15 minutes apart, to minimize the size of riders
on the road. First 15 or so miles were mostly rolling with a few steep
climbs. Rode with a tandem for most of the way to the first controle.
My GPS saved me from a wrong turn within the first 10 miles. Also
learned that the GPS file that I downloaded had some errors. I would
have missed a secret control later in the day if I had followed the
GPS. So, I had GPS, cue sheet and road makings to follow. Once they
all pointed to a different direction.

After the first control, I was on my own. Tried to chase down some of
the riders in the “A” group, especially Dan, who I ate dinner with the
night before. One of the Brazilian riders caught up with me and we
rode together for a while. We crossed the Delaware River. (The
pedestrian bridge is where all my routes diverged, waited a bit and a
couple of other riders caught up to me. We took the pedestrian
bridge.) Next controle was in Blairstown, New Jersey. Only place where
I felt any drizzle. Roads remained dry and sky overcast. Cool enough
to keep leg warmers and vest on. Route took us back into PA; past a
$300,000 outhouse (no plumbing) and into NY. Purchased a gigantic
turkey sandwich at the controle in Barryville, NY; totally stuffed
eating half. Put the rest in jersey pocket to be finished later.

Made it to the Carbondale controle just before sunset. Arrived at
overnight controle at 9:40 PM. Pretty much everything according to
plan. Looking forward to a 5 hr. sleep break. Overall, I loved the
route. Very low car traffic, and endless ups and downs. GPS set grade
at over 20% many times each day. A climb under 10% was a gift. Not a
route that would cause boredom.

Woke up to a cold rain. Believe someone said it was 39 degrees. After
about 5 miles, I realized I left my cell phone in the motel room.
Borrowed another riders phone to call the controle and asked them to
pick up my phone. They put in into my overnight bag. We rode through
Binghamton, NY. This is a large city. Seemed like an endless row of
traffic lights. At least in the early morning darkness, there was
little traffic. A bunch of us stopped at a McDonalds for hot coffee
and to warm up. Sun came up and the rain stopped.  At this point we
were heading pretty much due west. This is the flattest portion of the
route. We also had a stiff headwind directly out of the west. The
tandem caught up with us and rode with them again. Expected to make up
time on this “flat” section. Really gentle rolling hills. Due to the
head wind, my average speed dropped 1 mph from the first day.

Headed south to Pennsylvania. Controles in Sayre, Dushore and Canton.
More endless hills. I enjoyed the fast steep descents. The day stayed
dry. Had a few sun breaks by afternoon. Enjoyed the long, gradual
descent as the sun was setting after English Center. Turned right on
route 44 at Waterville. Volunteers had pizza and drinks at a “Secret
Controle”, really just a support stop. From here another long climb
and descent. Rode with Jud on the climb, but lost him on the descent.
He had aerobars, which gave him a free mile or two per hr. advantage
on the downhills. On hindsight, I wish I had used aerobars also. Left
fingers are still numb. Carpal tunnel? No problem last year after the
Rocky Mtn. 1200. Like having an option to take my hands off of the
bars. Was getting late in the evening and getting very cold. Put all
of my spare clothes back on. After crossing the Susquehanna River, my
GPS started getting crazy. Directed me away from road markings, then
went through several recalculating routines. After riding several
circles, saw a group of riders. Rode with them to the overnight
control in Lamar. Arrived at 00:12 Friday morning. A couple hours
later than expected, but still allowed a 4-hr. sleep break.

Left Lamar at 06:22 the next morning with SIR member, Vincent Mouneke.
Gentle rollers and long gradual climb to next “Post Card” controle.
Sky looked like the weather was going to improve. Almost immediately
after mailing the post card at the Loganton Post Office, it started
raining again. Morning rain was cold. Dried and warmed up some, with
an occasional afternoon shower. Made Mifflintown at sunset. Quick food
and coffee at controle. Just as we started to head out, the sky opened
up. Went back for a second cup of coffee, hoping the rain would let
up. After about a 20 minute break, we convinced ourselves that it
wasn’t raining as hard. Not wanting to get lost in the cold, dark
rainy night, the two Vincents stuck together. Very grateful for the
GPS at this point. I had turned mine off during daylight to conserve
the battery; Vincent M. had an auxiliary battery pack. Needed to stop
once to replace his GPS batteries.

The heavy rain brought out the earthworms and frogs. The back roads to
Selinsgrove were carpeted by worms. Don’t think you could find a 6
inch section of road that did not have a worm on it. The control in
Selinsgrove was at a Denny’s Restaurant. Arrived around 2 AM. Had
breakfast and headed out to the overnight control. Vincent M. consumed
a kola nut. (Is this on the banned substance list?) Not expecting to
ride late into the night, I did not bring any supplemental caffeine.
It had stopped raining. A warm front must have passed through. Felt at
least 10 degrees warmer. We started seeing stars and the moon through
the clouds. Started to overheat and took my rain jacket off on one of
the more significant climbs. On the downhill, we felt a few drops.
Vincent M. noticed an open shed next to the road. We stopped to put
rain jackets back on. Lucky the shed was there. Rain came down like a
monsoon. Waited it out for a several minutes. That was pretty much the
last rain of the ride. Another “secret” support controle before the
last “overnight” controle at Pine Grove. Heavy fog started to roll in
toward morning. We arrived in Pine Grove at 6:00-am.

Slept to 8:30--about 2 hours of sleep. (Much less than expected.) Left
Pine Grove under clear skies and sunshine. Best weather of the 4 days.
Stripped down to shorts and short sleeve jersey by afternoon; first
time of the ride. Route took me to within about 15 miles of the town I
grew up in. Made the last 110 miles before sunset.

Overall, the route was impressive. Very scenic. Traffic was light
except for the areas around Quakertown. Weather was disappointing. I
believe it will be held in late August or early September for the next
edition (4 years from now). That should eliminate the cold rain that
we experienced, but at the risk of heat and humidity in exchange. I
finished in 86:27, over 19 hours slower than last year’s Rocky
Mountain 1200. I slept as much, if not more, on the Canadian ride last
year. I probably lost an hour or so to route finding and a couple of
hours to waiting out heavy rain on the EM 1240. I think it would be
reasonable to add 15 hours to your other 1200 km times to gauge your
finish for the EM 1240. Only 22 of the 48 starters finished. If
brevets were categorized, this would be given “Hors Categorie”.

Vincent Sikorski
3989 NW Northcliff
Bend, Oregon 97701
vsikorski at bendbroadband.com