[ORRando] Cycling Invitation

Anita and Gordon Litster gordonlitster at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 29 15:23:35 PST 2009

Hi Fellow Randonneurs,
My name is Gord Litster and I am a member of the Sidney Velos (a Victoria, BC masters road bike club) and the BC Randonneurs and have a terrific offer for members of the Oregon Randonneurs. In 2010, my wife Anita and I are hosting 4 bike tours in the hidden jewel of Italy, the province of Abruzzo. Our itineraries extend from the stunning Apennine Mountains in the west to the beautiful Adriatic Beaches in the east. These tours are designed to give the cyclist some great riding on country roads with few cars while taking in some spectacular scenery .

Your home base is Valle San Giovanni, a village with a population of about 400. Olive groves, vineyards, sunflowers and picturesque hills of patchwork crops surround the village, typical of old Italy. Bread arrives daily and fish is delivered on Thursday. Amenities include a small grocery (great deli), fruit and vegetable store, post office, hardware store, hairdresser and Italian style bar. Daily life is evident and interactions with the locals are unavoidable. Beautiful countryside and friendly locals await you. This is a genuine Italian experience!

Tour #1, 11 Days, May 24 to June 3 $1775( $1595 if contacted by Dec. 1/09 booked by 15th)   From the Appenines to the Adriatic
This is our easiest itinerary, with reduced hills and mileage.  The mileage averages about 65 KM per day with one full rest day and a very light beach day. The tour is perfect for couples of different abilities. This itinerary we have done every year, except we have tweeked the routes to make them better and better.  You really get to experience the diversity and beauty of the area. (3 nights are spent outside the village, 2 at a winery and one at agricoturismo overlooking the Adriatic).  Almost sold out

Tour #2, 8 Days , June 7 to June 14 $1200 ($1095  if booked by Dec. 15/09)  The Best of the Hub and Spoke
This tour is perfect for cyclists looking for a short 8 day itinerary. I have included 6 terrific hub and spoke routes and acouple of local spins on day 1 and day 8. No packing or unpacking just great riding. The mileage ranges from 65km to120 km. The cyclists will be able ride at their own pace. Regroups as required.

Tour #3, 11 Days, Roadies Tour, June 18 to June 28 $1675 ($1495 if booked by Dec. 15/09)    The Wild Boar Tour
This is our up tempo itinerary designed for the rider comfortable riding in a group at a brisk pace.  The diversified countryside of Abruzzo includes all types of terrain, great climbs with  spectacular scenery, long thrilling descents and flat river valleys for some brisk pace-line riding. Mileage ranges from 65 to148km per day with one full rest day and a very light beach day.  I have added the last 2 Sundays of June to this itinerary so we may partake in one of the local races (Gran Fondo 148km last year or the Medio Fondo 100km) that usually take place then.  Also one night is spent at a small family winery. Almost sold out

Tour #4,  14 Days, Semi Guided Tour  June 30 to July 13 $795 / person double occcupancy     The Randonneurs Tour
This tour is designed for the advenurous sort comfortable reading maps and being self reliant.  Gord will accompany you for two days to orient you to the area and show the local amenities etc.  The first evening Gord and Anita will host you to dinner at one of their favourite restaurants. You will be provided with a key to access the bike shop and be provided with a comprehensive map of the area and a route book with 30 different rides.

All accomodation and some meals are included in all tours, details are in the itineraries.  The accomodation is not hotel rooms but renovated village houses with everything you need.

Some of the additional activities we can include or can arrange for interested folks are cooking lessons, hikes, shopping trips, wine tasting, a trip to the local olive oil press and museum tours. All tours have a support vehicle, driven by Anita my wife who speaks fluent Italian and is from this village.  She is also a practising Register Nurse.  We have been sending clients to this area for over 10 years.

Why, our tours?
- We can give you a great vacation by giving you both great cycling and a taste of genuine Italy.
- We willingly share all our experience with you concerning vacationing in Italy, from flights to Rome, hotels etc.
- Our groups are small, usually 7 to 9 riders.
- Anita (local knowledge)knows the best places to eat and shop and can get us into places no one else can.
- Within the village you have instant credibility, you are a friend of Anita's.  The villagers have been extremely kind to our guests.
- The routes are magic....I am very proud of them.
- With a support vehicle you do not need to carry anymore than you would on a regular club ride.
- Cyclists have loved the fact that we are not packing up everyday.  Many have felt it was the best tour they have been on.
- Every year we have riders returning to do it again.
- We have a bike shop available for those who want to bring their own bike and quality rental bikes for those who prefer that option.
- Extra discount for 3 or more cyclists booking together

Please contact us directly at 250-655-4030 or email us at gordonlitster at shaw.ca and we can email detailed itineraries,  photos, FAQs, testimonials etc.
You are welcome to forward this on to any friends or family that might be interested.

Ciao Gord.