[ORRando] Picnic Populaire this Saturday

Marcello Napolitano marcello at napolitano.com
Wed Jul 29 09:28:08 PDT 2009

As you may know, this Saturday August 1st I am organizing a 100k RUSA
populaire ride, with a picnic after the ride. I only have a half dozen
or so riders signed up at this point, and I need to have a head count
soon to know how much food and drink to bring. (To pre-register,  visit
http://www.orrandonneurs.org/bin/brevet_register).

The route: An out-and-back that starts at Noble Woods Park in Hillsboro.
(Start is at 7 AM, to that people can be back in time for the picnic.)
After a first mostly-flat section towards Beaverton, it follows Skyline
Blvd from OR-26 until the road changes name and turns to gravel. Skyline
is hilly, shady, and very pleasant riding. On a clear day you will have
views of Mt.Adams, Mt.St.Helen and Mt.Rainier, along the way. The ride
will be unsupported, unless someone volunteers to man a water stop at
the turnaround point (let me know if you are interested). Bikely map and
profile at http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hillsboro-Skyline-100k.
I am estimating 4000 to 4500 feet of total climb, mostly in short,
moderate hills along Skyline.

Who can ride: As with our other populaire rides, this one is open to
all, and you don't need to be a RUSA or ORR member to ride (but it is a
good thing to be one). There is no fee to ride, but we'll have a
donation jar that you can contribute to, to cover expenses.

The post-ride: I have reserved the sheltered picnic area at the park,
and I will bring my grill to cook. We will have hot dogs and grilled
portabella mushroom sandwiches, and some kind of home made picnic salad
(macaroni or potato).  You can also bring a dish to share, if you so
desire. My house is two blocks from the start, so if something requires
refrigeration I can store it at home during the ride.

Note: You are welcome so come and hang out even if you don't ride. Just
email me if you do, so that I have an idea of how many people will be there.

Marcello Napolitano
marcello at napolitano dot com
971.506.2495