[ORRando] shipping bikes

Lynne Fitzsimmons fitzbase at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 09:48:16 PST 2009

Before I got Bleriot, I used to ship my MTB to our summer vacation place.  I'd borrow a bike shipping box from friends, pack it up and send it via Fedex.  I'd usually do it a week ahead of time, because the location is a bit off the beaten trail.  We created a Fedex account just for that, because then we could put in the measurements and get the shipping tag.  We measured more accurately than the shipping store employees - they tended to be generous, and the bike box (Performance) was right at a price limit.  It was less expensive than renting a bike for a week or so at the other end.

Fedex was less expensive than UPS, but this was several years ago.

Packing - block the dropouts with a piece of wood, or those plastic things you can get at bike stores.  If you are worried about other squashings of the box (ask Cecil about HW Jr the first's headtube) put some other pieces of wood, or PVC tubing with flat caps, to prevent that.  These things:
http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_comp.htm

Cheers,
Lynne F