[ORRando] Willamette Headwaters 600k

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:33:24 PST 2009

Hello friends,

I know it's early, but while you're hunkered down for the cold winter,
staring at the loaded schedule for Oregon Randonneurs and daydreaming about
the adventures you'll have next summer, please take a moment to consider
riding in (or even better, volunteering for) the ride that I'll be
organizing next August, the Willamette Headwaters 600.

It'll start in Lebanon, OR, and go down the Willamette Valley before heading
up into the Cascades on such beautiful byways as the Row River
trail<http://www.americantrails.org/nationalrecreationtrails/blm/rowriver-or.html>,
Aufderheide Memorial Drive <http://www.scenicdrivesusa.com/node/163>, the
Old McKenzie Pass highway
<http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2148/>, and Quartzville
Rd <http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/68922/>.

Here's a link to the route that I'm thinking of (riding counter-clockwise):
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=40426

 It's just the sort of randonee that I like to ride, which is exactly the
kind of ride that I like to put on.  It's going to be beautiful, with lots
of gorgeous scenery and quiet roads.  But it's also going to be both
challenging and remote, so having a couple of staffed controles would be a
big help for riders.  I'm living up in Seattle now, so that adds a degree of
difficulty to organizing such an ambitious ride, so I wanted to put the call
out early -- if this is the sort of ride you'd like to see happen,
then while you're making your plans for next summer, think about setting
aside part of the weekend of August 28-29 to help out.  I would not expect
anyone to pitch in for the whole weekend, but having some people who would
be able to man a couple controles at campgrounds in some of the most
beautiful woods in the Oregon Cascades, who could do a shift at the start or
finish, or who would be willing to help at the overnight, would be a big
help.

Folks who are interested in volunteering, but who would still like to do the
ride are of course welcome to join me for the pre-ride (or pre-ride it
themselves), and I'll be happy to ride together (or at least re-group
frequently).

And if you can't volunteer, but might be interested in riding, let me know
so that I can gauge interest -- the options for lodging at the overnight in
McKenzie Bridge are somewhat constrained, and that'll give me an idea of
what I should looking into.

Thanks very much, and I hope to see you on the road!

-Michael