[ORRando] Urban Cycle Options in Portland?

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Apr 22 09:25:25 PDT 2009

Hi Erik,

If you are going to start from downtown, the only traffic-free option
that strikes me is the Springwater Corridor, a former streetcar
line.   You can start form the Steel Bridge on the east bank of the
Willamette, head south on the Eastbank Esplanade to the Oregon Museum
of Science and Industry (OMSI), and then job east to pick up a trail
along a railway line called the Springwater on the Willamette.  Just
North of the Selwood bridge there is a gap in the trail ("the Selwood
Gap"), but there are signs that will take you onto the main
Springwater trail, which extends 21 miles to Boring.  Go as far as you
like and then turn around.  Maybe others can suggest a convenient pie
place.

More info here: http://www.40mileloop.org/trail_springwatercorridor.htm
Click on the mini-map for a full-sized PDF of the trail leaflet.

Other options are to take the MAX out to Hillsboro and ride in
Washington County farm country.  Portland Velo (http://
portlandvelo.net)  does organized rides from Longbottons Coffee shop,
and the aforementioned rubber to the road book has lots of routes. (http://www.rubbertotheroad.com/
)

	Andrew