[ORRando] New Permanents

Marcello Napolitano marcello at napolitano.com
Sat Apr 4 09:12:21 PDT 2009

I have three new permanents that have been approved this week by RUSA
and are available for riding. (These are not Oregon Randonneurs rides,
and you must be a RUSA member to ride any RUSA permanent.)

610 - Bald Peak - 101 km/3000 ft - Starts in Hillsboro, OR
After climbing to Bald Peak State Park and enjoying beautiful views of
the valley below (and of snow capped peaks in the distance, on clear
days), we ride along the valley floor from Newberg to North Plains and
back to Hillsboro.
http://www.napolitano.it/?p=319

611 - Nestucca Rivers - 211 km/6000 ft - Starts in Newberg, OR
We head to Grand Ronde along familiar roads (a section of the 3 Capes
route in reverse), cross the Coast Range as Sourgrass, descend along the
Little Nestucca, and continue to Hebo and Beaver. From there we have a
long, gradual climb along the scenic Upper Nestucca Road. After a steep
descent into Carlton, we head back to Newberg. This loop can also be
done counterclockwise, which will make it a totally different ride. In
this case we will have a fairly long, challenging climb out of Carlton,
followed by a long and gradual descent to Beaver. This permanent will
not be available to ride in the winter because of the snow at the
highest elevation.
http://www.napolitano.it/?p=299

613 - Hillsboro-Dallas - 200 km/2000 ft - Hillsboro, OR
A fairly flat 200k, by Oregon standards. After the first control in
Forest Grove in the Grand Lodge area, we ride along Spring Hill Road
towards Lafayette and Dayton, and then to Amity and Dallas along
Perrydale Rd. After turning around in Dallas, we head back to Hillsboro
the way we came. Lots of farmland and wetlands along the way.
http://www.napolitano.it/?p=298

On my web site (see URLs above) I have additional information on these
permanents. I will be adding registration forms and route sheets in the
next few days. There is no change for riding my permanents, but I will
need a self addressed stamped envelope if you want your card mailed back.

Also available to ride:

319 - Nehalem River - 200 km/4500 ft - Starts in Vernonia, OR
 From Vernonia, we ride along the Nehalem River to Birkenfeld and to the
nature preserve in Jewell, where herds of elk always seem puzzled by the
passing bike riders. After crossing the coast range, we descend to
Astoria, then head back up to Jewell, Birkie, and Vernonia, on the same
scenic, quiet roads.
http://www.napolitano.it/?p=113

Marcello