[ORRando] Frans Pauwels Memorial Center

Del Scharffenberg dels at intersoftsystems.com
Wed Oct 1 17:00:34 PDT 2008

I regret that I will be out of town and will miss this grand opening event....

The latest dream of the Washington County cycling community is scheduled to come true with the opening of Aloha's Frans Pauwels Memorial Community Bicycle Center.  The WashCo Bicycle Transportation Commission will cut the ribbon at 10 a.m. Friday, Oct. 3, at the leased warehouse at Tualatin Valley Highway and Cornelius Pass Road just east of Hillsboro.  Located at the Park 219 South business plaza at 21785 SW TV Highway, Suite J, the celebration will last through the weekend with hourly drawings for helmets, lights and other bicycle related equipment parts and accessories.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/argus/index.ssf?/base/news/122158741387280.xml&coll=6

Frans was a very good friend of mine, who I rode with into his late 70's.  He was the former owner of Kissler's bike shop, later owned by his son Dirk who is my age.  When Dirk retired earlier this year he donated the remnants of his bike shop to start this community bicycle center, a very fitting tribute to Frans.  Frans was the only Grand Tour rider who I personally knew.  Here are a few links to his long-ago accomplishments:

20th place in the 1946 Vuelta: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Vuelta_a_España
11th place in the 1947 Vuelta: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_Vuelta_a_España

1948 and 1949 Tour de France:
http://www.tourdefrance.nl/achtergronden/nederlandsehelden/Frans-Pauwels-1476.html