[OrRando] Ixon Headlight bracket failure

Andrew P. Black apblack at ownmail.net
Mon Jan 28 01:21:57 PST 2008

You will all be pleased to know that Peter White immediately offered
to replace my light.  He also said that he was going to send his
remaining stock of brackets back to Germany.  He is a gentleman.

On 27 Jan 2008, at 11:11, Lynne Fitzsimmons wrote:

> You might look here for various headlight mounting solutions.  My
> current solution was incredibly inexpensive (free bracket pieces
> from the bike store, some hacksaw and grinder work; purchasing a
> couple of p-clamps and nylok nuts and bolts from the local Ace
> Hardware), and that light isn't going anywhere.  It is essentially
> the Terracycles mount, only not costing $35.00.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/554659@N24/

Quite ingenious, Lynne.  However, once bitten twice shy.  The
TerraCycle mounts are a much more beautiful piece of engineering than
anything that I could put together from my parts drawer.  And the
Ixon, since it contains batteries, is much heavier than the Lumotec.
I think that it's worth the money to get something that is really
solid, and not likely to fatigue the way the old bracket did.
Remember, the B&M bracket worked fine since last April.

I just figured out that the Dymotec on that Flickr page isn't yours,
Lynne.  I was going to ask how it worked in the wet.  I used tire
dynamos for years (after I gave up on the Dynohub), but gave up on
them because of the problem of slippage in the wet.

Of course, when its dark and wet, you can't see worth a damn
regardless of your lights, so maybe it doesn't matter.

	Andrew