[OrRando] Noisy hub?

Keith Kohan bike2work2live at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 21:02:33 PDT 2008

Mine isn't what I'd call loud.  It is notchy at very slow speeds when I spin the wheel by hand with the light on.  It also makes a whirring sound when spun like that.  But the sound and notchiness go away at speeds above 5 or 8 mph and I personally can't tell the difference between it and a regular wheel at speed.

I honestly can't recall if the sound or notchiness were more evident when the hub was new.

Keith Kohan

cecilanne at comcast.net wrote: So I just picked up my new bike with its SON generator hub, and the first thing I noticed is that it is LOUD.  A whistling/whirring kind of loud.  I don't recall hearing this noise from other riders' Schmidt hubs, and I am wondering if I should be concerned.  An internet search turned up nothing helpful - I know lots of folks on this list have SONs and I am wondering what their experience has been.  If it makes a difference, I am running an E6/Lumotec Oval combo . . . . rack mounted.

Cheers, Cecil