[OrRando] Re: Nutrition

b hamon periwinklekog at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 08:31:54 PDT 2007

Disclaimer: newbie at Randonneuring, but not-a-newbie
at bike-camping and long day rides in general.

Nutrition is a terribly fussy thing on long rides. I
suspect it's because we ask much more of our bodies
while riding 100 (or 400, or 600) km than we do while
sitting at the dinner table. That stress alone could
be enough to make the body react differently, and
cause us to shun foods we might otherwise enjoy.

I have Crohn's disease. I have to watch what I eat All
The Time, every day.  Eating mindfully while on the
bike is simply a continuation of what I do at the
dinner table. The difference between me and someone
without Crohn's is that if I am planning a long ride,
I have to begin timing my food intake the day before
so as to maximize my time on the bike during the ride.
I also have to fuel up more frequently and at shorter
intervals than most of my bikey pals, because I bonk
more oftenthan they do. But otherwise, the rest of it
seems to be the same: eat before you're hungry, etc.
etc.

That said, here's what seems to work for me much of
the time:

1. Gatorade or Fruit Juice (I'm a fan of filtered
apple), partially diluted with water. Dilute the fruit
juice a little more than the Gatorade to cut down on
the acidity. I keep a couple of bottles handy at all
times and refill at stores along the way.

2. Mini rice cakes, the silver dollar-sized ones.
These come in many flavors (I like cheddar cheese when
I need something salty, and caramel when I want
something sweet) and are easy to carry. They're
already small so you don't have to break them apart to
fit in a saddlebag.  Another favorite for me are the
little peanut butter-and-toast crackers that come six
to a package. These can be unwrapped one-handed while
riding and they are oddly satisfying. For a saltier
version, try the cheese-filled crackers. Or make your
own from Ritz crackers and your favorite filling. I
don't eat these at home but they seem to help on a
long ride.

3. For my lunch stop -- assuming I'm just out for one
day -- I'll bring along a hard-boiled egg, unpeeled
and stored in a tightly sealed tupperware case.
Unpeeling helps it keep longer until you're ready to
eat it. I try to make sure I eat this fairly early on
to avoid spoilage. Also bananas, raisins, and peanuts
(southern-style boiled peanuts are easier to digest).
If it's not too hot out I'll sometimes bring apple
slices sealed in a ziploc bag. All of these fruits are
softer to chew and therefore easier to digest.

4. Quick pick-me-ups that are easy to digest in small
quantities include Jellie Bellies (I especially like
Lemon, Lime and Sour Apple) and Gummi bears. And
recently, pal Michael (Rasmussen) turned me onto the
delightful but easily abused Penguin candies --
chocolate-mint flavored and caffeinated. Penguins are
a revelation and a wonder. Careful not to overdose!
Three of these tiny mints equal the same caffeine
found in a cup of coffee. One's usually enough.

One thing I find that is really important for me, and
perhaps helpful for others too, is to chew food (or
energy-goo-cubes, or whatever you eat) fully before
swallowing. Sometimes in the heat of an intense ride
we forget and we gulp things down and ask our bodies
to work harder at processing than they need to, and
maybe that's where some of the discomfort comes from.
I have learned that chewing food fully helps a lot.

I am still researching the fancier powdered mixes that
are supposed to boost energy in specific ways. I am
researching how they'll interact with my meds and with
solid foods. Feel free to offer me advice on this
topic.

Beth Hamon

www.ibdride.org/bhamon
http://bikelovejones.livejournal.com