[OrRando] Ye Olde Lighting Question

Lesli Larson lesli.larson at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:12:07 PDT 2007

I'm putting together a new wheel set for my randonneuring bike.  At this
time, I'd to take the opportunity to convert from LEDs to a generator hub
system.  I've been reseaching the subject, looking at schmidt hubs, etc, via
Peter White's site, so I'm not entirely new to the subject.

My question for the or group: is there a consensus regarding the best
hub/lamp selection?  I'm only planning to run lights on the front of the
bike (with LEDS in the back).  I know the E-6 is the staple lamp choice but
what about the secondary light--another E-6, lumotec, or what?.  Do most
people use two lamps--or should one lamp be satisfactory?

I'd love to know what people are currently running on their bikes.  I've
heard from some of you and I do try to gawk at actual bikes during brevets
but most of you folks are ahead of me so my data set is incomplete.

Also, is there any reason why my local shop couldn't order all the component
bits for me or is it best to go directly through  Peter White?

Regards,

Lesli Larson
Eugene, OR