[OrRando] These guys are an inspiration

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Wed Jun 20 10:09:19 PDT 2007

David Rowe wrote:
> Two riders from our region are pushing the envelope on what is "possible."

Paved roads, support vehicles, history of lots of people doing it.  Hmmmmm

For pushing the envelope check in on the Great Divide Mountain Bike race.  95% off
road, no support allowed, 2450 miles, 200,000 feet of climbing, services so
sporadic that riders carry water purification supplies.  Huge attrition rate every
year. Already (we're five days into the race) this year three riders have dropped
out.  Two trashed their achilles tendon, one had his frame snap.  Another pair of
riders have had very serious mechanical failures (brakes, racks, shocks), yet
another is struggling to stay in after mashing a foot between rock and pedal.
Kent Peterson holds the single speed record.

http://www.greatdividerace.com/

Michael "just a commuting weenie" Rasmussen