[OrRando] Glacier Bound Riders

Jim Bronson jim.bronson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:02:49 PDT 2007

Made it in 70:55.  Man that last day was tough.  Not really because of
the terrain, but just because it was the 3rd day of randonneuring in a
row.  And the heat.  And my sunburn.  And the lack of services.  Oh
yeah and the terrain!

Great ride, epic route!

The volunteers deserve a special mention. They made this ride so much
more possible. One even took a link out of my chain as I slept, in
order to fix a stuck link and skipping problem.  Now that's service.
Cheers!!!

On 7/1/07, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Yesterday 35 riders left the Portland (Ore) metro area for a 1000K Grand
> Randonnee[1].  Their first 50 miles were on the Old Columbia Highway.  This
> included, we assert, the first ever flight of stairs included in
> the official brevet route.  After the nicely shaded intro they crossed the
> Bridge of the Gods into the drier climes of Washington state. Like salmon
> the
> riders persistently rode up the Columbia River, passing dams, a Stonehenge
> replica, wineries and fireworks stands.  Temps were in the mid 90s and
> services widely spaced. They finished the first day riding after traversing
> 400K and coming to the edge of the Palouse wheat growing mecca.
>
> Today they'll cross the Palouse and enter northern Idaho with an goal of
> mining town Kellogg.  After another night's, or hour's, sleep they'll set
> out
> for the ultimate destination of Whitefish, Montana on the edge of Glacier
> national park.
>
> You can track their progress at http://www.orrandonneurs.org/
> We have riders from Texas, California, British Columbia, Washington and
> Oregon.
>
> [1] If 1000K does not qualify as a Grande Randonnee I await clarification
> from
> Bill Bryant.
>
> --
>       Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>     Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity
>           http://www.patch.com/words/
>   The fortune cookie says:
> A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life to be
> thankful for a good one.
> 		-- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I am riding the MS150 bicycle rally from Houston to Austin on April 21
and 22, 2007.  164 miles by bicycle!  Will you join me and make a
pledge to support multiple sclerosis research? Donate online at my
link: http://ms150.org/edon.cfm?id=182433