[OrRando] RE: Ride Report 0R600k TBL

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Mon Oct 2 11:10:44 PDT 2006

> I will leave it to the riders to
> tell their stories in their own words, from the panic expression on
> Susan France's face when she discovered The Kramer cooking breakfast

Before The Big Lebowski I had always >>assumed<< all men knew how to cook
and thought it safe to crawl into the back of my van for a wee nap. The boys
up in Seattle always made such a wonderful sandwich.  During my RAAM days,
my son learned to cook at the age of 8 "out of necessity", so he says, as he
whips of breakfast burritos and blueberry waffles for the crowd at Grandmas
and Grandpas. In fact, I usually leave it to my son to spice up my chili for
me...he just has the knack of getting it perfect, throwing in a little of
everything including a touch of cocoa and cinnamon.

John "The Kramer" must get the "International Rando Cuesheet Award." His
cuesheet was kept as a memento by all as it was color coded, included
several pictures of Big Lebowski characters, various logos and was just
thoroughly entertaining to look at. Hopefully he'll get up a PDF version for
all to see on the ORR website. And was not his personalized trophies for all
participants great? I suppose the rider who showed up Saturday morning
without preregistering is scratching his head on that one. Another reason
one must preregister... you never know when you might get a personalized
award.

I heard of a number of ways and places riders warmed up during the night:
One stuffed his emergency blanket fluffed up inside the front of his jacket
creating a down jacket effect. Another carries a full length tyvek lab coat,
which we think can be marketed to randos and become a huge ORR money maker.
Most randos discovered the heated campground restroom after Hardman..one
rando couldn't pass it up and napped in the shower stall. Then there were
picnic tables at John Day and the Fossil post office.

One rider took John's ride report a little to seriously...never take John
too seriously. The rider equipped his bicycle with bear bells for night
riding. As he rode up to the overnight control I was sure we had a broken
rando bicycle that need fixing.... I thought to myself "surely a
jingle-bells mudflap wouldn't be installed in September."

A very few photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=one_set72157594309464906
As I went into my van to retrieve the camera at the finish line I just fell
over and napped... besides I'm just not good at capturing moments except in
my brain.

Susan