[OrRando] Wine Country Route Sheet

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Sun Nov 19 22:56:57 PST 2006

I just noticed I left a few extra columns in the route sheet to the right.
They won't show in your printed version but those are a handy little time
function that one can use for "pacing" on a brevet. It's currently set to
the minimum pace. I saw this function in route sheets that Eric Vigoren
uses. What else can one expect from a "numbers guy". I found it extremely
helpful for me.

On our 600k I was preriding the second day alone and very slowly, into a
headwind, and really not much sleep... I was certain I couldn't possibly
finish in time but every time I looked at that time cutoff I was still ahead
of it so I had no reason to stop. At some point, hours and hours into the
second day I was still of the cutoff so I figured I just might as well
finish the damn brevet.

I also put the time function into our Dart route to keep us on pace for 12
hr finish. Even Peg "I don't want to know" Winczewski was getting into the
hang of letting us all know how many minutes ahead or behind pace we were at
every turn.