[OrRando] new bicycle recommendations

joel metz magpie at blackbirdsf.org
Tue May 9 20:56:47 PDT 2006

i think its probably going to be crucial to determine whether youre
thinking more "ultramarathon" or "randonneur" type distance cycling,
really. i honestly think theyre two different disciplines, in many
ways, or at least two different approaches, with perhaps different
needs.

personally, i dont think of myself as qualified to suggest a good
bike for ultramarathon cycling - its just not my bag, not my style of
riding.

but for randonneuring...

frame material, schmame material. yeah, i like steel. ive always
liked steel, and ill always like steel. its cheap, reasonably light,
quite durable, and easily repaired. but whatever. what it boils down
to is what *you* feel comfortable on over long distances, which, in
the end, will likely boil down to bars, saddle and shoes as much as
it ever does to what your frame is made of. i say geometry trumps
material most of the time, and thats gonna be something plenty of
people can talk at you, but only you are gonna know what works for
you in the end.

so yeah, that doesnt answer a whole lot, and unfortunately, thats
what youre going to be stuck with, to some degree. no bike shop test
ride is going to give you enough time in the saddle to really suss
things out, because whats comfortable for a 15 minute spin around the
streets around the shop is far different from whats comfortable for
hundreds of miles at a time.

(for what its worth, i ride lugged steel, steep angles, long
chainstays, friction 2x6 gearing, reasonable (ie
non-rivendell-overboard) upright position, with hbar bag and
carradice - tells you where im coming from, and that i may not be too
qualified to comment on aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber, or 10 speed
clusters :) heck, *i* think distance riding on a 70s ish steel road
frame with some upgraded (or not!) components is probably just *fine*
for most peoples purposes :) )

do you have a bike now that you use for distance riding? figure out
what you like about it, what you dont like about it, try to quantify
as much as you can about it, and go from there.

as far as addressing womens-specific issues, biology keeps me from
having useful information here :) as for bike shops in the area that
cater to us long distance types... er? does any shop cater to our
type of nutcase?

there. ive probably quite successfully not really answered your
question at all :)

-joel

(for the record, i differentiate between ultramarathon and rando
stuff on the lines of more support + greater emphasis on speed and
possibly competitiveness = ultra; more emphasis on self-sufficiency
and de-emphasis on speed and competition = rando. rando more like
touring, ultra more like racing. im really not into ultra :) )