[OrRando] Portland Century

Ken Mattina ken.mattina at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 09:55:27 PDT 2006

Sorry I missed you on the ride, Bert.  I got off to a late start due to the
waiting lines for preregistered riders.

I really like the idea of an urban century and any century that starts five
miles from my house I have to ride out of principle.

I had a good time and I especially enjoyed cycling around Bull Run.  This
was a place I had never been to.

Although the ride wasn't as organized as one would like, there was a
redeeming factor that overcame all.

Free beer at the finish line!!!!

These guys clearly knew what they were doing.

Ken

On 8/27/06, Bert Lutz <bert_lutz at hotmail.com> wrote:

>   I rode the inaugural Portland Century today, the 100 mile version (they
> have 40 and 60 mile lengths as well).  I like to do these rides every once
> in awhile because they are not brevets.  And with 1400 riders (that's what I
> heard), cyclists own the road and if you don't like the person you just
> started a conversation with you can move on to the next one ;-).
>

> The ride started at PSU, headed south to the Springwater trail and east to
> the Sandy area.  Nice climbing following parts of the Torture 10K..  About
> 3-4K ft. in 20 miles or so.  Then, it was a fast ride along the Columbia
> westbound (thankfully there was not much of a headwind) before the return to
> PSU via Lombard and the Broadway Bridge.  I'm not a big fan of trails but it
> was a good tour of Portland.
>

> There were long check-in lines, lines at the rest stops, food shortages
> and a missed rest stop.  I clocked 86 miles on my GPS for the century but
> hey, maybe I missed a turn or two.  These are the kinds of things you would
> expect the first time out of the gate.  I had a good time and so did most of
> the people I talked to.  The volunteers were friendly and worked hard.  Next
> year will be even better.
>

> Bert

Where did the spring go?
Where did my hormones go?