[OrRando] Portland Century

Bert Lutz bert_lutz at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 18:39:37 PDT 2006

I rode the inaugural Portland Century today, the 100 mile version (they have
40 and 60 mile lengths as well).  I like to do these rides every once in
awhile because they are not brevets.  And with 1400 riders (that's what I
heard), cyclists own the road and if you don't like the person you just
started a conversation with you can move on to the next one ;-).

The ride started at PSU, headed south to the Springwater trail and east to
the Sandy area.  Nice climbing following parts of the Torture 10K..  About
3-4K ft. in 20 miles or so.  Then, it was a fast ride along the Columbia
westbound (thankfully there was not much of a headwind) before the return to
PSU via Lombard and the Broadway Bridge.  I'm not a big fan of trails but it
was a good tour of Portland.

There were long check-in lines, lines at the rest stops, food shortages and
a missed rest stop.  I clocked 86 miles on my GPS for the century but hey,
maybe I missed a turn or two.  These are the kinds of things you would
expect the first time out of the gate.  I had a good time and so did most of
the people I talked to.  The volunteers were friendly and worked hard.  Next
year will be even better.

Bert