[OrRando] Darts and Arrows and herding cats.

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Mon Apr 10 08:13:33 PDT 2006

> I'm up for that!  I think the Fleche is the most fun rando event,
> it could
> have to do with my love of  arcane, obscure,
> hard-to-remember-much-less-figure-out, rules.

I'm somewhat confused by the "end point"... Do you have to finish at the end
point, or just how close to the end point do you have to be? Makes a
difference. I wouldn't want to have to finish by riding across
Portland/Vancouver as part of the ride. I'd be happy stopping outside the
metro area and hopping on public transport or finishing outside the metro
area and meandering my way to the end point on my own time.

> In the last few years of my "STP period" a group of us used to ride that
> event and then stay at the Kennedy school!  Something about
> bedding down in
> Mrs. Wilsons 4th grade classroom was really, well, educational? Plus they
> have that long tiled cattle trough they call the soaking pool.  Well I'll
> leave the end point to y'all, but it would be great to rendezvous south.

Since all the McMenamin's hotels are great I gravitate towards those with
soaking pools & hostel rooms... Edgefield has hostel rooms... real hostel
rooms as in women's dorm/men's dorm first come first serve...but no soaking
pool. Grand Lodge has bunk rooms & soaking pool. St Francis in Bend has
both, hostel rooms and soaking pool. Kennedy has soaking pool/no hostel/bunk
rooms.  Then there is the Olympic Club in Centralia, bunk rooms but no
soaking pool. McMenamin's just bought an old funeral home... that will be
interesting!